Thursday, October 25, 2007

LETTER REGARDING FRED THOMPSON AND THE FAIRTAX

Every now and then a FairTax letter comes through my e-mail and catches my eye. I am digressing from the Insurance stuff to show you a copy of the letter, plus a reply. I was especially impressed with the reply that certainly would have put Fred Thompson in his place. After all the time and money and study that has gone into the development of the FairTax, it’s too bad you can’t think of a reply like that on the spot.

Here is the letter:

I had the opportunity to take my 8th grade civics class to hear Fred Thompson in Mt. Pleasant, SC this morning. He said, "As I scan the room, I see many people wearing FairTax stickers. I see them everywhere I go. FairTax has a better campaign going on than any of the candidates!"He was then asked to endorse the FairTax. His response was disappointing. He said, "I can't take the numbers they've come up with and run with them. I'll have to run the numbers for myself. I'm keeping all tax reform ideas on the table. We may wind up with a plan that takes a little from this and a little from that. We need a plan that can pass the Congress."Keep the heat on!
John SteinbergerCharleston, SC

Here is the reply to the letter:

Fair Tax put together by top Economists, over a number of years at several millions of dollars, surprised that you think you can do better. Cheers - Phin

One thing we DON’T need is a “plan that can pass the Congress”. We need a plan that can satisfy the people for a change – WE NEED THE FAIRTAX!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fred, Fred, where's your cred?
Will you let me keep my bread?
FairTax, Yes! 'er FairTax, No!
Just another politico?
Hope for tax reform, I see,
Will be voting HUCKABEE!

Anonymous said...

I am running for Congress in North Alabama on a platform of actually solving problems in Congress and specifically passage of the Fair Tax bill. Even though I need all my money for my campaign, I sent Thompson a small campaign contribution when I first heard he supported the Fair Tax bill (obviously a premature announcement by someone). It would be nice if Mr. Thompson would send my contribution back.

Bobbie said...

Ray, Thanks for taking the time to respond to my blog. I agree Mr. T. should send back your contribution. Maybe if you sent him a bottle of Geritol, it would motivate him to do so. Or at least, see the light on the FairTax.

Ian, good poem - I like that. Thanks for your support.

Unknown said...

Thanks again for this blog Bobbie. I just used it to cite that Fred Thompson quote. Great stuff!

Bobbie said...

Thanks, Optional. I need all the encouragement I can get. I really appreciate the feed-back.